If your parent is exploring the benefits of assisted living yet is worried about losing autonomy, you may be surprised to learn that the right community can boost independence instead.
It doesn’t stop there, though.
Senior living communities can provide the foundation for an engaged and active life, support for meeting wellness goals and help residents feel more self-reliant. Another bonus? It can also take the pressure off adult children and their parents who may now only be interacting in caregiver roles.
What is assisted living?
Assisted living communities provide a safe and secure residential setting for older adults who need help with the daily tasks of living. They are licensed and regulated by the state where they are located and can offer many similar services.
However, when asking the question – what is assisted living – families often discover a variety of residences, amenities and activities available, as well as overall feelings of vibrancy and a positive outlook.
It’s good to remember that the community’s philosophy provides the foundation on which the residents build their lives – and that can make all the difference.
Understanding the role assisted living can play in the lives of seniors and their families
Assisted living communities provide personal care services for those individuals who need help. Adult children or other family members often cannot offer this level of care due to the time constraints of careers, raising children or other responsibilities.
There is also a profound difference between being a caregiver and being a child. When adult children find themselves in the caregiver role, it can strain the relationship, leading to guilt and stress for the family.
When considering what assisted living is, it’s essential to recognize that it also allows adult children to return to their primary role – being a loving son or daughter. Instead of worrying about their parent’s medication schedule or diet, they can enjoy quality time together – sharing stories and making memories. The trained, compassionate staff at assisted living communities handle the caregiving, allowing families to simply be families once again.
Download our complimentary guide Staying Home vs. Senior Living.
What is assisted living? A general definition
There are several similarities among assisted living communities, but families should discuss what the most important features of a community are to them in order to discover the best fit.
The following elements are common in many communities:
- Accessible residences
- Assistance with the tasks of daily living
- Healthy dining
- Activities and social events
- On-site and off-site entertainment
- Fitness classes and education
- Scheduled transportation
- Safety and security features
Assisted living services as defined by Tenfold’s Bruceville Point
When you visit Bruceville Point, you’ll notice that we offer all of the above features and much more. But we approach them a little differently.
Take a look at how we define assisted living at Bruceville Point:
- We offer assisted living as a service: many of our residents are independent and searching for a more active and social life. As a licensed community, however, we can offer supportive services if they become needed – directly in their apartments.
- We offer community and companionship: Bruceville Point supports their residents to enjoy the advantages of friendships and the community that is formed as neighbors know they can rely on each other.
- We believe independence is the cornerstone of a high-quality life: we all value our independence, which doesn’t change when we grow older. Self-reliance and freedom of choice shouldn’t be sacrificed just because an individual needs a helping hand.
- We offer choices: from dining to activities to spending time alone: choosing how to spend your time contributes significantly in achieving a high quality of life. We offer three separate dining venues, several menu selections, activities inspired by our residents and beautiful spaces when you’re ready for a little quiet.
- We support you to set and meet your wellness and personal goals: our fitness center is available to assist residents in meeting their goals and learning more about healthy living. Bruceville Point also offers several opportunities to interact socially. And we appreciate the efforts of those who want to give back to the community.
How do our assisted living services contribute to a high-quality life?
While some older adults view needing help as a sign of decline, our residents discover they feel even more independent making their home with us.
At Bruceville Point, having access to assistance is not about losing independence; it’s about redefining it. Unlike many communities, you won’t need to move but instead can remain at home, among your friends and familiar settings. As we bring the services to your apartment, you can continue living on your terms but with the safety net of support whenever it might be needed.
If your family is exploring what assisted living can offer, you’ll want to visit potential communities, meet the staff, chat with the residents and experience the community first-hand.
At Bruceville Point, we believe you’ll see that our community is based on helping residents live their best lives, whether assistance is needed or not. It’s not about giving up independence but embracing a fuller, richer and more supported version.
Discover Life at Tenfold’s Bruceville Point
We created Bruceville Point to support our residents to live their best lives possible. Our community’s design, residences, activities and amenities are all focused on helping to connect, engage and create an enriched life.
If you’re searching for senior living that is different from the rest, we hope you will consider Tenfold’s Bruceville Point. We invite you to download our complimentary guide Staying Home vs. Senior Living. Contact us to speak to an advisor, or schedule your tour of Bruceville Point today to experience senior living and our community for yourself.